Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Washington: First In War, First In Peace, Last In MLB Logo Design

Hey, it's the National League All-Star team...or IS it?

Do me a favor and take a look at the above logo. What comes to mind?

Do you see the logo of a National League team, or the National League All-Star team?

Here's where I'm going with this: I happen to be anal when it comes to uniforms. I have high standards, which include the categories of presentation, logo design, colors and nicknames.

And I gotta tell ya, the logo of the Washington Nationals bugs the hell out of me.

I thought the franchise did a wonderful thing by resurrecting the old, script "W" on the ballcaps, from the original Senators teams. But instead of keeping the theme and spelling "Nationals" in script the way "Senators" used to appear, they came up with this awful thing, which looks like something you'd expect to see on the chests of the National League All-Star team during a homerun hitting contest. It just has that "look" of something generic, to only be worn during All-Star weekend. It bums me out.

There are a whole lot of unis that I am not thrilled with in baseball, although at least we're out of the horrible uniform decade of the 1970's, with its infatuation with double-knits, a new thing back then. Everyone looked like softball teams during the 70's, except the Tigers, who kept things traditional, thank goodness. Remember the trend on caps of different colored bills than the rest of the lid? Yecch!

I remember the Cubs, in the 90's, coming out with a road outfit that had a solid blue jersey and the word "Cubs" in script on the front. Trouble was, the "Cubs" looked a whole lot like "Cuba", and that country's uniforms used for international play. It was strange, and I wondered how the heck that design could have gotten by all the marketing folks without someone saying, "Hey -- we look like CUBA!"

Anyhow, that's my rant for the day. Stay tuned for my preview of the NBA Finals tomorrow. Bet ya can't wait.

No comments: