Friday, May 09, 2008

Cup For Red Wings Fait Accompli

Check with the Wayne County Road Commission. Make sure there aren't any plans for Woodward Avenue the first week of June. Tell 'em to get any and all orange barrels out of the way. While you're at it, tell them to not mess around too much with I-75, the Lodge Freeway, I-94, or I-96 until we're done; we want as many people as possible to make it into downtown. Might as well confer with the Big Guy, God himself, and put in our request for sunshine and blue skies to drench ourselves in.

I can't make any such assurances for the Pistons -- far from it, actually -- but I've made up my mind about the Red Wings. Stanley Cup no. 11 for the franchise will be hoisted into the air by captain Nicklas Lidstrom sometime within the next four weeks. It's money in the bank. May as well give the engraver the Red Wings' roster and have him start doing his thing.

This isn't the first time I've felt this way during these playoffs; just the first time that I'm going public -- and not just for some sort of shock value to get a discussion thread going at some online forum. The Red Wings' karma is right. They're healthy, happy, and wise -- and that's a tough combo to beat in springtime. Oh, and they have goalie Chris Osgood -- who's all three of the above, and on a mission. Don't kid yourself that he's not. How's this? He last won the Cup 10 years ago, and he had to beat the Dallas Stars in the conference final in order to do it. Weird, huh? But in a good way. By the way, I wonder what the longest gap is between Cups for one goalie with the same team. Ozzie's ten year chasm between champagne baths surely must rank right up there. What's more, he's been gone and come back again. His would be a remarkable story -- correction, WILL be a remarkable story -- when the Red Wings again call themselves champions. Think of it. 35-year-old backup figures to play maybe 30 games this season, then not only exceeds that, but starts in the All-Star game. Then not only THAT, he starts the playoffs as the backup anyway. Then not only THAT, he steps into the fray in the post-season's fifth game and proceeds to rack up seven straight wins. Whew! This would be the easiest movie script anyone could ever write, because it's penning itself.

The Red Wings were systematic and opportunistic -- again -- in grinding the Stars into the Joe Louis Arena ice last night in Game 1. As usual, Osgood could play the role of interested observer at times -- especially in the first period, when the Red Wings outshot the Stars, 12-4. And, as usual, when called upon to put his mask back on, slip on his glove and grab his stick, Osgood made one key stop after another. It's been the same formula as in Games 5 and 6 versus Nashville, and in the rumored series against Colorado.

I never feared the Stars; in fact, I was much happier for the Wings to play them than San Jose, who still scares me, even though they're eliminated. If the Sharks, who had a monstrous second half of the season, would have escaped an 0-3 hole against Dallas, then there's no telling what they would have been capable of against Detroit. But the waters are clear of Sharks -- I'm pretty sure -- and so it'll be on to the Cup Finals, where I've also made my choice: bring on the Flyers. I want no part of Crosby, Hossa, Malkin and company. But even if the Red Wings draw the Pens, they'll win. See the opening paragraph.

Call me counting my chickens before they're hatched. That's fine; they'll be cute little chickies when they do. I've gone out on a limb, and I rather like the view from here, thank you. Seven more wins to make it official.

Save me a spot near Hart Plaza.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

don't jinx us! the stress train is still in high gear as far as i'm concerned.

Baroque said...

I'm with Erik. Don't tweak the nose of the hockey gods! They'll start favoring the Penguins (if Detroit can manage two more wins against the Stars).