Wednesday, November 22, 2006

On Eve Of Turkey Day, Some Thanks Are In Order

Some reasons to be thankful this holiday...

Jim Leyland. You helped make baseball fun around here again, skipper. And made a group of ragamuffin players believe in themselves.

Steve Yzerman. You're not on the ice anymore, but your time was everyone's time -- from a shy kid in October 1983 to a shy vice president in 2006.

Bo Schembechler. Oh, how fall Saturdays would have been boring in Ann Arbor without you.

Kenny Rogers. Thanks for an amazing postseason run. I've never seen anything like it, and may never again.

Jim Myers, a.k.a. George "The Animal" Steele. You spent several hours at our MCS Magazine offices in July regaling us with tales and anecdotes from your career in pro wrestling, which will appear in the December issue. Thanks for a memorable afternoon.

Charlie Sanders. Whether or not you get into the Pro Football Hall of Fame -- and you damned well better -- it's time you were thanked for ten marvelous seasons as the consummate tight end.

Jerry Green. Still churning out weekly online columns at age 78. And a supporter of mine, for which I'm deeply grateful.

Jeff Daniels. Thanks for taking time out to answer my voluminous questions for the November MCS interview. And thanks for laughing at my old Gordie Howe stories.

Magglio Ordonez. The World Series may have been a stinker, but thanks for providing a landmark moment in this town's sports history with your walk-off homer in Game 4 of the ALCS.

And thanks to my wife, Sharon, who somehow puts up with me; my writing staff at MCS Magazine (you know who you are); my boss, Muneesh Jain (MCS's publisher); magazine marketing guy Chris Okroy (who I debate sports with daily; sometimes hourly); and all my fellow bloggers who are kind enough to post links to this little space.

And, finally, thanks to all of you who stop by here from time-to-time and read these words of tarnished wisdom.

See ya Friday.

No comments: