Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Happy Birthday To Me! (Well, Almost)




Yes, it's true.

Well, not for me personally -- I've had 41 more than one -- but for this blog thingie I call "Out of Bounds," it certainly rings true.

One year ago today -- April 12, 2005 -- I joined the blogosphere with a rant about Tiger Woods winning the Masters. To wit:

Every sport, I am convinced, needs a dominant player, someone that everyone guns for. Someone that fans love, but yet also love to see get defeated every so often. Someone that fellow competitors dream of going up against, even if they get the snot kicked out of them.Tiger Woods was once that player, and with his dramatic, come-from-behind win at last weekend's Masters, he may be on his way back to being that player. If he is, golf just got a much-needed shot in the arm.

After that, there was no stopping me -- and for that I apologize.

So this isn't going to be about any particular topic this morning -- just a heartfelt thank you to all who click this way from time-to-time. I know there are a handful of you who browse over here almost daily, and for that I'm truly grateful: Ian at Sweaty Men (who's also one of my writers at MCS Magazine, so he HAS to show up); Big Al at Wayne Fontes Experience; Brian at Beyond Boxscores; Dolphin Fan at My Opinion on Sports; Ozz, a radio guy down in Virginia who's always leaving comments here; Kevin Antcliff, who gave me my first published writing gig; the Leelanau Sports Guy; Luke Walton's Forehead; Josh Bartlett and EJ Smith of MCS Mag; and that's just to name a few, and I really hope I haven't offended those I may have left off. I was once instructed to never start thanking people like this because you'll inevitably omit someone and that could hurt feelings. See how I listen?

Anyhow, "OOB" spawned "Where Have You Gone, Johnny Grubb" -- my baseball blog -- and thanks to the folks who've directed themelves over there as well. It's been incredibly fun, and I must once again thank Kevin Antcliff, who e-mailed me a year ago and said, "You should start blogging, Eno." So blame it all on him.

I was writing weekly columns prior to starting "OOB," but in this world I found I could ruminate daily, scratch my writing itch, and perhaps entertain people at the same time. How cool is that?

So again -- thanks to all who stop by and pay me a visit. Your traffic here means more to me than you'll ever know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Out of Bounds - The Blog! It's always good to get a daily shot of the Eno. That's right, I called you "The Eno."

Ian C. said...

Yet another thing to blame on Antcliff.

Happy Blogiversary, Greg! And I'm not just saying that because I have to. I'd stop by every day to read your stuff, anyway. It's been quite a year for you and "Out of Bounds."

Anonymous said...

Everything is my fault.

Eno, today is Greg Eno Day at KA.com, and to celebrate, I'm directing people here to beg you to post "Why I Sit Alone at the Ballpark."

Could ya? Huh? Could ya?? Pretty please?

Big Al said...

What's funny is that I have no memory as to how I found OOB. Funnier still is that I keep coming back... Seriously, congrats on your 1st year, Eno!

Brian said...

It's already been a year, huh? That was a fast 365.

Happy Blog B-day. Hope you have many, many more.