Monday, August 13, 2007

These Yankees Are OK In My Book



















These are the Sterling Heights Yankees.

And that handsome young man in the front row, second from left, is "Out of Bounds" fan and all-around great kid, Ryan Wietchy.

Back in May, if you recall, I had lunch with some terrific sixth-graders at Penna's in Sterling Heights as part of a magazine assignment. The idea was to expose these youngsters to career choices. One of the kids I met was Ryan, who wanted to be an accountant. He ended up visiting "OOB" and becoming a fan.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from Ryan. Here's a portion:

"Each year, my baseball team, called the Sterling Heights Yankees, attends the Tigers game as the "Pepsi Team of the Day." This year we went on August 3rd, against the White Sox. During the pre-game ceremonies, we had our picture taken. Early in the game, my team was featured on the scoreboard along with a live clip of us. We sat in Kaline's Corner, located right around the right field foul pole. Even though the Tigers lost against the White Sox it was still an enjoyable evening. Since you cover the Tigers and are a fan of them, just like I am, I figured I'd send you our team photo. I have attached the photo onto this e-mail."

As MasterCard would say, priceless.

So I'm posting this photo of Ryan and his Yankees. And I must thank him for curing the little writer's block I had today. This post is better than anything I could have come up with.

By the way, Ryan says that if accounting doesn't work out, and since he loves sports and likes to write, that he might give sportswriting a whirl.

That is, if the baseball playing falls through. Believe me, Ryan -- it's a lot more profitable being written about than doing the writing!

No comments: