Thursday, March 15, 2007

Oh, Isiah! I Was Wrong -- As Of Now

I'll take my serving of crow with some salt, and maybe some crushed red pepper, for flavor. Just have plenty of ice cold suds on hand for me, to wash it down.

Isiah Thomas just received a contract extension to remain an employee of the New York Knicks, in both the capacities of coach and general manager. This after last year's ultimatum from owner James Dolan that basically indicated Thomas had to show significant progress from the 23-59 disaster in 2005-06 in order to save his job(s).



I was one of many who didn't think Zeke had a sno-cone's chance in Hell to make good on his part of the bargain.

And while the record isn't terrific -- 29-35 -- it's still on par to put the Knicks in the thick of the playoff hunt in the Leastern Conference. Which is enough for Dolan to invite Thomas back for some more hijinks.

I looked at the roster that Thomas had constructed while wearing his GM hat, and considered it a fantasy that he could improve much on the 23 victories of last season. I probably let my regard for Thomas the GM -- which is about as low as my regard for cold french fries and warm beer -- taint my analysis of Thomas the coach, which I must admit isn't all that bad.

Isiah did alright in Indiana, coaching the Pacers, and now he's taken his Knicks misfits -- now minus Jamal Crawford due to injury -- and has them on pace to win nearly 40 games. Not remarkable by most standards, but these are the Knicks and, worse, these are the Knicks assembled by GM Isiah Thomas. So a 38 to 40 win season would be impressive indeed, and would be a 15+ win improvement over last season.

Thomas should, in my mind, get some consideration for Coach of the Year. And that, for me, is like writing, "Carrot Top should get some consideration for Comedian of the Year."

But it's true. Isiah Thomas has stood up to the challenge levied by Dolan, which could have made him a lame duck coach to some of his players. He was teetering, Isiah was, and a few miscreants on his squad could have toppled him for good.

Didn't happen. Probably not gonna happen.

Thomas is no lame duck anymore, thanks to the extension, the details of which were not disclosed.

All this doesn't mean that Isiah is off the hook with me. I'm going to give him through next season to see if this extension was a smart move by the Knicks, or a knee-jerk reaction to a possibly overachieving unit. But for now, at least, Thomas has done enough to make me feel it justified to order a helping of crow.

And when was the last time an ink-stained wretch/bottom feeding blogger admitted he was wrong?

No comments: