Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What Part Of Fox Sports DETROIT Don't They Get?

Fox Sports Detroit betrayed my trust last night, and I'm ticked off.

Maybe I'll call my friend Angie Mentink and complain.

The Tigers had just suffered one of their toughest losses this season -- a 4-3 dagger to the White Sox, after a couple of ill-timed walks and a thre-run homerun by Alex Cintron in the bottom of the eighth inning. Ugh.

So that was bad enough -- that the homerun happened, because you can accept being beaten on a tater by Jim Thome or Paul Konerko, but NOT by little Alex Cintron. It was Cintron's first homer of the year -- maybe of his career, for all I know.

Anyhow, insult was added to injury -- and by our "own" FSD network affiliate. In the postgame recap -- and this was a brutal loss, folks -- lovely Angie sent us back to Chicago, where John Keating was standing by with...

ALEX CINTRON!!

Why in the #!$&! would we want to hear from Alex Cintron? The little guy who beat us?! Talk about pouring salt into the wounds.

But there he was, being interviewed on the field -- a White Sox hero. And, in his very broken english, he described the joy of hitting his first dinger of the season to beat our stumbling Tigers.

Was I the only one outraged by this decision to place Cintron on our Detroit airwaves? After a loss like last night's, the LAST thing I want to be subjected to is an interview with the happy hero from the enemy side. When the Pistons lose a playoff game, I can see where ESPN or TNT would talk to a player from the winning side on the court immediately after the game. They're national networks and supposedly impartial. Not that they are, of course, but you get my drift.

But for FSD -- OUR FSD -- to put the other team's hero on our television screens to hear him describe his joy was a poor, poor decision and I'm afraid it alienated a ton of viewers. I was outraged and yelling at the TV throughout Cintron's interview -- which extended too long on top of it occurring in the first place -- because I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

This is sports, baby -- and we take it seriously in Motown. We don't want to see a happy enemy gloating about his game-winning hit on Detroit airwaves.

For more media complaining, tune in to my Johnny Grubb blog, where I take Tigers radio analyst Jim Price to task for his use of the pronoun "we" when talking about the team.

2 comments:

Big Al said...

The fact the "Detroit" Sports Report is produced in Seattle, of all places, is something I've never been able to wrap my feele mind around.

I've never been a big fan of the DSR, your post today being one example of the many reasons I tend to to avoid the DSR. Not that I was in a TV kind of mood after last nights loss...

Ian C. said...

The only explanation I can think of is Keating was so dazed after the loss - as many of us were - that he just wanted to know who the hell Cintron was, and thus grabbed him for an interview.